December 11, 2016

The Modigliani Scandal by Ken Follett (Review)

Title: The Modigliani Scandal
Author: Ken Follett
First published: 1976
Add it: Goodreads, Amazon, Book Depository
Rating: ★★☆☆☆

It was my first Ken Follett, and I was so prepared to love it - I know people who are HUGE fans. But before committing to some of his giants, I've decided to read something smaller (besides it was a bargain on Book Depository). Well, maybe this was my mistake - to start with a less known and praised work. I did not like The Modigliani Scandal.

I feel shortness might actually be one of the main sources of problems in the novel. The characters feel like props and the plot goes fast and is not very elaborated. Most of the key shocking revelations I have guessed in advance and characters behaved pretty predictably.

I love the art world atmosphere and it was nice to glance a bit behind the scenes of the art world, yet some of the plot twists depended on people behaving highly unprofessionally and I'm wondering now if this is even slightly close to the true situation. But then the book is rather old, so it's very possible that security standards have changed a lot since then.

In my book: A fast-paced but not very elaborate or complicated novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...